Some people love them; some hate them. But there’s no denying there’s a ton of squirrels in Canada. Some people even debate about feeding squirrels— however, many wildlife experts say that squirrels are perfectly fine on their own and should not be fed in the wild.
So the question is: Should you feed squirrels? And if so, what foods are good, and which ones should you avoid feeding squirrels?
If you need an expert opinion, consider calling a wildlife removal company in Hamilton. They’ll be able to handle your squirrel problems on an individual level.
Should You Feed Squirrels In the First Place?
The general consensus on feeding squirrels is a big no. Many government municipalities forbid the feeding of wildlife since there are negative consequences involved including feeding squirrels incompatible foods, affecting their migration patterns, increasing human-and-wildlife interaction, and more.
In addition, there can be laws against feeding squirrels depending on where you live. For example, in the city of Hamilton, laws exists that forbid the feeding of wildlife. Furthermore, you can be fined up to $10,000 for your first offence if you feed wildlife. Therefore, it is not advised to feed squirrels if you can help it.
What Foods Are Bad for Squirrels?
There are a lot of foods that are bad for squirrels. Some of these foods include:
- Bread. Excessive amounts of bread can cause squirrels to get fat.
- Processed foods. Foods that are processed can contain chemicals and be unhealthy for squirrels, especially if they are high in sugar or fats.
- Peanuts. Squirrels can have a peanut once in a while, but they shouldn’t eat them on a regular basis.
- Corn. Squirrels should not be fed whole corn since they can overheat, causing them to die. Little bits of corn are fine, as long as they don’t get too mouldy— this can be toxic and fatal to squirrels.
- Fast food. Some people think they can feed squirrels most foods humans eat. Feeding them like you would a dog will likely result in an unhealthy diet or even be fatal to squirrels.
- Cereal. Some people put out cereal for squirrels, but it’s not the healthiest food for squirrels.
- Animal food. Whether it’s a cat or dog food, squirrels shouldn’t have this processed food even though they will likely eat it.
Need Some More Advice?
Try contacting an animal expert. They’ll be able to help you by providing expert advice and help you with any squirrel problem you may have. This includes making sure that any infestation you have is taken care of, as well as implementing preventative measures to make sure squirrels don’t invade your home.